Questions & Answers

Can I claim a Wisconsin Tuition and Fees Expenses subtraction if my tuition was paid for by scholarships, grants, or a college savings program?

You can't claim a subtraction for tuition and fees paid with certain tax-free funds. For example, you can't claim a subtraction for tuition paid with tax-free scholarships or Pell grants or for amounts paid or reimbursed to you by your employer. You can subtract tuition and fees paid from loans, gifts, inheritances, and personal savings.

You can't claim the subtraction if your tuition and fees were paid with amounts withdrawn from a Wisconsin state-sponsored college saving program or college tuition and expenses program (for example, EdVest or "tomorrow's scholar"). This limitation applies only if the account owner previously claimed a subtraction for contributions to these programs.

Let's Get Started

© 2002-2019 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement