Questions & Answers

What taxed health care professional student loan repayments can I subtract from my Montana income?

If you are a health care professional licensed in Montana, you can exclude up to $5,000 of any health-related student educational loan repayments that are paid on your behalf when this repayment is included in your federal adjusted gross income. In order for you to qualify for this exclusion, you have to be a health care professional who:

  • is licensed in Montana;
  • participates in a federal, state or qualified private loan repayment program (these repayment programs are generally through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and its Nursing Education Loan Repayment Program, the Montana Rural Physician Incentive Program, or a qualified private program with a licensed health care facility in Montana); and
  • serves a significant portion of a designated geographic area, a special population, or a facility population in a federally designated health professional shortage area (HPSA), a medically underserved area (MUA), or a medically underserved population (MUP).
You can determine if you are serving in an area listed above by contacting your employer or the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services Primary Care Office by calling (406) 444-3934 or visiting their website .

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2021 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility