Questions & Answers

What is sales tax on casual rentals of living quarters?

If you rented out living quarters for 15 days or more during the year, you are subject to 9% sales tax on rent collected in 2021 . You must register, collect, and pay the tax. Casual rental is defined as rental of one unit, whether a cottage, trailer camp, condominium, vacation home, camp, etc. for temporary guests. If your total rentals were for fewer than 15 days during the year, you don't need to register or collect sales tax.

You can pay the sales tax from casual rentals on your Maine tax return, instead of filing a sales tax return, if your total sales tax isn't greater than $2,000 and your only sales tax collection responsibility is from casual rentals.

For more information on casual rentals of living quarters, you can see Bulletin 32 .

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use (Updated 11/10/21) | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility