Questions & Answers

What is the total sales amount if I sold stock or bonds?

If you sold stocks or bonds and you received Form 1099-B from your broker, enter the amount shown in Box 1d of Form 1099-B for the sales amount. If you paid commissions on the sale, you would either reduce the sales amount by the amount of the commissions, or you would add the commissions paid to the cost basis of the asset sold. Either way works out the same for the net gain or loss. If you have Form 1099-B, you'll want to use the sales amount shown in Box 1d of Form 1099-B so that what you report as sales matches what your broker reported to the IRS.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2021 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility