Questions & Answers

How do I file if I was a resident of the District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, Virginia, or West Virginia?

Maryland has an agreement with these states to ensure that if you are living in one of these states but working in another, your wages won't be taxed twice by both states.

If you were a resident of one of these states for the whole year and your only Maryland income is from wages, then you aren't required to file a Maryland state tax return. However, you'll need to file a nonresident return to claim any refund for Maryland taxes withheld.

If you had Maryland income other than wages (such as business income), you'll need to file a nonresident return, but any Maryland wages will be exempt from Maryland tax.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use (Updated 11/10/21) | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility