Questions & Answers

What is a qualifying disability for a child?

You may be entitled to an additional personal exemption for your dependent child who has a qualifying disability. To qualify, all of the following must be true:

  • Your child (age 21 or younger) qualified as your dependent for 2018.
  • Your child was eligible for Early Intervention Services or received special education as defined by the State Board of Education.
  • Your child had an eligible disability as of December 31, 2018, under the federal Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. Eligible disabilities include:
    • Autism spectrum disorder
    • Communication disorder
    • Deafblindness
    • Emotional disturbance
    • Hearing impairment
    • Intellectual disability
    • Orthopedic impairment
    • Other health impairment and developmental delay
    • Specific learning disability
    • Traumatic brain injury
    • Visual Impairment

You must get a statement confirming that your child has been diagnosed with one of the disabilities listed above and a cover sheet from one of the following:
  • The child's Individualized Education Program (IEP)
  • The child's Individualized Family Service Plan (IFSP)

Keep the statement and cover sheet with your permanent health records.

Let's Get Started

© 2002-2019 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement