Questions & Answers

Do I qualify for a credit for income tax paid to another state?

A Utah resident or part-year resident whose income is taxed by Utah AND another state(s), the District of Columbia, or a possession of the United States, may be entitled to a credit against Utah income tax for the amount of tax paid to the other state(s).

Only the actual taxes paid on the income taxed by both Utah and the other state qualifies for this credit.

Do not use the state income tax withheld from Form W-2 as the taxes paid to the other state. You must complete and file the other state's return to determine the amount of taxes paid. Utah might ask for additional information later to verify this credit.

Let's Get Started

© 2002-2019 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement