Questions & Answers

Military Moving Expenses

The moving expenses deduction applies only to active duty members of the Armed Forces who are moving due to a permanent change in station.

Qualified work-related moving expenses are limited to transportation costs for your family and belongings, packing costs, certain lodging costs, and certain storage costs. You can either deduct your actual automobile expense (gas and oil) or the standard mileage deduction of 17 cents a mile. For lodging costs, you can deduct the lodging expense for the night before you moved, the nights during the move, and the night after you arrive at your new city. For storage costs, you can deduct the first 30 days of storage expense. Other expenses such as meals, temporary living costs, and house hunting trips are not deductible.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use (Updated 11/10/21) | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility