Questions & Answers

Do I qualify for a Minnesota homestead credit or property tax refund?

To qualify for a 2018 homestead credit or property tax refund:

  • You must have been a full- or part-year resident of Minnesota during 2018.
  • You cannot be a dependent on someone else's 2018 federal income tax return.
  • Your total household income (including a subtraction for dependents or if you are age 65 or older) for 2018 must be less than $61,320. The maximum refund is $2,150.
  • You must have lived in a building in which property taxes were assessed or you made payments to a local government instead of property taxes. If you aren't sure if property taxes are assessed on your building, contact your landlord.
  • You must have a valid Social Security number. If you only have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), you are not eligible for the homestead credit refund as a homeowner.
  • Your property must be classified as your homestead (main place of residence), and you must have paid any delinquent property taxes on your home.
  • You may be eligible for one or both of the following refunds if you owned and lived in your house on January 2, 2019.
    • Homestead credit refund. Your total household income for 2018 must be less than $113,150. The maximum refund is $2,770.
    • Special property tax refund. You must have owned and lived in your home both on January 2, 2018 and on January 2, 2019;
      • Your net property tax on your homestead must have increased more than 12 percent from 2018 to 2019;
      • The net property tax increase must be at least $100 and the increase must not be due to new improvements;
      • There is no income limit for the special property tax refund, and the maximum refund is $1,000.

Let's Get Started

© 2002-2019 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement