Questions & Answers

When can I claim the Credit for Taxes Paid to Another State if I'm a part-year resident?

A part-year resident can take the Credit for Income Taxes Paid to Another State in the state they were a resident of while earning double-taxed income.

For example, if you lived three months in Maryland, then moved to Maine for the rest of the year, if you didn't earn any Maine income before you moved from Maryland, then you wouldn't claim a credit for taxes paid to Maine on your Maryland return.

However, if you worked for three weeks in Maine early in the year before you moved to Maine, then the wages you earned for those three weeks are taxed by both Maine and Maryland so you can claim a credit for taxes paid to Maine on those three weeks of wages on your Maryland return.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use (Updated 11/10/21) | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility