Questions & Answers

Do I qualify for the Michigan credit for taxes I paid to another state if I'm a part-year Michigan resident?

You may qualify. Review the example below to determine if you qualify.

Example: If you lived in Michigan for three months then moved to Pennsylvania for the rest of the year, if you didn't earn any Pennsylvania income before you moved from Michigan, then you wouldn't claim a credit for taxes paid to Pennsylvania on your Michigan return.

However, if you worked for three weeks in Pennsylvania early in the year before you actually moved to Pennsylvania , then the wages you earned for those three weeks are taxed by both Michigan and Pennsylvania so you can claim a credit for taxes paid to Pennsylvania on those three weeks of wages on your Michigan return.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2021 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility