Questions & Answers

What else do I need to include as nontaxable income?

If you have any other nontaxable income, include it here.

Common examples include:

  • Payments received under the state Medicaid Home & Community-Based Services Waiver (Medicaid Waiver)
  • Employer-paid education or adoption expenses
  • Workers' compensation benefits
  • Your contributions to a 401(k), 403(b), 457 deferred compensation or SIMPLE/SEP plan
  • Nontaxable employee transit and parking expenses
  • Veterans' benefits
  • Nontaxable scholarships, fellowships, grants for education, including those from foreign sources, and tuition reductions
  • Nontaxable pension and annuity payments, including disability payments. However, do not include distributions received from a Roth IRA or any pension or annuity that you funded exclusively, for which your contributions could not be taken as a federal tax deduction
  • Federally nontaxed interest and mutual fund dividends
  • Income excluded by a tax treaty
  • Rent reduction received for being a caretaker
  • Military or clergy housing allowance
  • Nontaxable military earned income, such as combat pay
  • Strike benefits
  • The gain on the sale of your home excluded from federal income
  • Debt forgiveness income not included in federal adjusted gross income
Do not include:
  • Minnesota property tax refunds
  • Child support payments
  • A dependent's income, including Social Security
  • Any state income tax refunds not included as income
  • The dollar value of food, clothing, food stamps and medical supplies received from government agencies
  • Payments from life insurance policies
  • Payments by someone else for your care by a nurse, nursing home or hospital
  • Fuel assistance payments
  • IRA rollovers
  • Gifts and inheritances
  • Nontaxable Holocaust settlement payments
  • Economic impact payment (stimulus check)

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2021 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility