Questions & Answers

What moving expenses can I subtract from my Hawaii income?

If you have moving expenses related to a change of workplace that were not deducted on your federal return, enter that amount. Hawaii still allows the deduction for moving expenses from non-military moves.

Qualified Expenses: You can deduct the reasonable expenses of moving your household goods and personal effects and of traveling from your old home to your new home. Reasonable expenses can include the cost of lodging (but not meals) while traveling to your new home. You cannot deduct the cost of sightseeing trips.

Do not include expenses for moving out of Hawaii unless you left the state for temporary or transitory purposes and your residency did not change.

Qualified Moves: Keep in mind that your new principal workplace must be at least 50 miles farther from your old home than your old workplace was. Also, you must work full time in the general area of your new workplace for at least 39 weeks during the 12 months right after you move (if you are self-employed you must also work a total of at least 78 weeks during the 24 months right after).

You'll need to complete Form N-139  and attach it to your return.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2021 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility