Questions & Answers

What is the Credit for Past Military Service?

If you (and/or your spouse if filing a joint return) are a veteran of the military and meet the listed requirements, you may each qualify for a credit of up to $750, depending on your income.

Here are the requirements:

If you're a veteran of the military, including the National Guard and Reserves, you qualify for the Credit for Past Military Service if you've been separated from service, are not taking the Military Pension Subtraction, AND:

  • Have served in the military for at least 20 years, or
  • Have a service-related disability rated by the U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs as being 100% total and permanent, or
  • Were honorably discharged and receive a military pension or other retirement pay for your service in the military

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2021 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility