What is the Maryland Quality Teacher Incentive Credit?
If you are a qualified Maryland teacher, you may be able to claim a credit against your state tax liability for tuition paid for graduate-level courses that are required to maintain certification. Each spouse that qualifies may claim this credit.
You qualify if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You currently hold a standard professional certificate or advanced professional certificate.
- You are employed by a county/city board of education in Maryland, a state or local correctional facility, or a juvenile correctional facility.
- You teach in a public school or qualified facility and receive a satisfactory performance.
- You successfully complete the courses with a grade of B or better.
- You have not been fully reimbursed by the state/county/city for these expenses. Only the unreimbursed portion qualifies for the credit.