Questions & Answers

What employee business expenses can I deduct on my Iowa return?

The IRS no longer allows taxpayers to claim unreimbursed employee business expenses as itemized deductions. You may still qualify for an adjustment to federal income, however, if you have business expenses as an Armed Forces reservist, qualified performing artist, or fee-basis government official. If you have these types of expenses, enter them on your federal return. Do NOT enter them as an Iowa itemized deduction.

Iowa still allows other business expenses to be claimed as itemized deductions. You may claim employee expenses related to meals and entertainment, parking and transportation fees, overnight travel, and other miscellaneous business expenses.

Let's Get Started

© 2002-2019 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement