Who can claim the Hawaii Credit for Low Income Household Renters?
The Credit for Low Income Household Renters is worth $50 per "qualified exemption" (defined below) and may be claimed if you:
- Were physically present in Hawaii for more than
nine months during the taxable year,
- Are not eligible to be claimed
as a dependent by any taxpayer for federal or
Hawaii individual income tax purposes,
- Had Hawaii adjusted gross income (AGI) of less than $30,000, AND
- Paid more than $1,000 in rent during the year for a property subject to real property tax.
You may claim the credit for any of the following "qualified exemptions":
- Your spouse if you are Married Filing Jointly (or Married Filing Separately if your spouse is not filing a Hawaii return,
had no income, and was not the dependent of someone else);
- Your dependents; and
- Your minor children receiving more than half their support from public agencies which you can claim as dependents.
You can claim this credit on your Hawaii return even if you had no Hawaii taxable income. If Married Filing Separately
, only one spouse may claim the dependents.