Questions & Answers

What is the Contributions to Qualifying Charitable Foster Care Organizations Credit?

You can claim a credit if you made cash contributions to qualifying foster care charitable organizations .

The following table shows the maximum amount of credit you can qualify for:

Filing Status Contributions Made To Maximum Amount of Credit
Single or Head of Household Charitable Foster Care Organization $500
Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately* Charitable Foster Care Organization $1000

*If you're filing as Married Filing Separately but you could have filed as Married Filing Jointly, you may take only 1/2 of the total credit that you and your spouse would have been allowed to take on a joint return up to $500.

If the allowable credit is more than your tax or if you have no tax, you may carry forward the unused credit for the next 5 years.

This credit is available only to individuals. Corporations may not claim this credit. A partnership may not pass the credit through to its partners. An S corporation may not pass the credit through to its shareholders.

Let's Get Started