Questions & Answers

Do I need Form 1098-T from my child's college before I can claim the American Opportunity Credit, Lifetime Learning Credit, or Education Deduction?

For most taxpayers, you need to receive Form 1098-T in order to claim the American Opportunity Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit. You can take the Education Deduction without Form 1098-T.

What if I don't have a 1098-T?

If you don't have a 1098-T but you know the amount of tuition paid to the college you can enter that amount on the Additional Tuition Expenses screen.

Menu Path: Deductions/Credits > Common Deductions/Credits > College Tuition (Form 1098-T)

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2021 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility