Questions & Answers

Amended Tax Return

If you have mailed your tax return to the IRS or the IRS has accepted your e-filed tax return, then the only way to make changes to your tax return is to file an amended return, Form 1040-X. If you prepared your original return with us, you can sign in to your account and choose the option to amend/correct your return. Go to the Check Status/Print Tax Return screen and go to the Amended/Corrected Return paragraph to start your amended return. You can also click on the FreeTaxUSA logo at the top of your screen and then choose File an amended tax return. You will then be walked through the amended return process.

If you did not file your original return through our website, you can go to the IRS website ( and download Form 1040-X to manually prepare an amended return. Or you can prepare your amended return through our website by entering your tax information again. When you reach the Filing Method screen, choose to mail your return. Once you reach the Check Status/Print Tax Return screen be sure that your federal return entered on our website matches your original return that you e-filed or mailed. Then you can select the option to amend your return.

We recommend that you do not amend your tax return until after you have received your refund or paid the taxes you owe from your original return you filed. The IRS will often automatically make a correction to your tax return for missing or incorrect W-2 or 1099 forms. You do not need to amend your federal tax return if the IRS corrects the error on your tax return when they process your original tax return. You will receive an IRS notice explaining the adjustment or asking for additional forms for documentation.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2021 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility