Questions & Answers

How do I make a Kansas extension payment and how do I know the amount to pay?

To pay any Kansas tax balance due for an extension, you can do one of the following:
  • Make a credit card payment online with ACI Payments. .
  • Use the Kansas Payment Voucher (K-40V ) and mail a check. Check the box on the K-40V  indicating an extension payment.
If you do not pay the tax due (may be estimated) by the original due date, you'll owe interest and a penalty on any balance due.

Example: Amber is running out of time to file her tax return and wants to file an extension. She thinks she might owe taxes to Kansas this year, but she doesn't know how much she should pay with her extension. She learned that filing an extension does not extend the payment deadline, so she needs to estimate the amount she owes and make a payment to Kansas. She uses FreeTaxUSA as a tool to estimate her tax due. She enters as much information as she knows (and any estimates) into FreeTaxUSA without e-filing or finalizing her return and sees that she owes an estimated $100 to Kansas. She goes back to the extension section of FreeTaxUSA, and files her federal extension. Her Kansas extension is then automatically filed with her federal extension and she just needs to make a separate payment to Kansas. Amber uses ACI Payments  to make a payment of $100 to the Kansas Department of Revenue.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use (Updated 11/10/21) | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility