Questions & Answers

What income is taxable?

The following income is taxable:

  • Wages (W-2)
  • Interest income (1099-INT)
  • Dividend income (1099-DIV)
  • Unemployment compensation
  • Social Security benefits may be partially taxable (SSA-1099)
  • Retirement income (1099-R)
  • State refunds if you itemized your deductions last year may be taxable (1099-G)
  • Stocks or investments sold (1099-B)
  • Miscellaneous income (1099-MISC)
  • Nonemployee Compensation (1099-NEC)
  • Business or self-employment income, including Form 1099-K (Schedule C)
  • Partnership income (Schedule K-1)
  • S Corporation income (Schedule K-1)
  • Rental income
  • Farm income (Schedule F)
  • Farm rental income (Form 4835)
  • Gambling income (W-2G)
  • Original issue discount income (1099-OID)
  • Estate and trust income (Schedule K-1)
  • Seller-financed loan interest
  • Royalty income
  • Tips, and other compensation (even if unreported)
  • Home sale income may be taxable in some cases
  • Canceled debt (1099-C)
  • Tuition program distributions (1099-Q)
  • ABLE Account distributions (1099-QA)
  • Contracts and straddles
  • Other income, including:
    • Alimony received, for divorce or separation agreements executed before 2018
    • Alaska Permanent Fund Dividends
    • Household employee income
    • Taxable scholarship income
    • Gambling income not reported on Form W-2G
    • Net Operating Loss carryforward (NOL)
    • Jury Duty
    • Prizes, awards, or miscellaneous income

If you have taxable income you don't know where to enter, you can click the Where Do I Enter? link on the side bar to find out where to enter it.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use (Updated 11/10/21) | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility