Questions & Answers

What is a permanent change in station?

A permanent change in station includes:
  • A move from your home to your first post of active duty,
  • A move from one permanent post of duty to another permanent post of duty, and
  • A move from your last post of duty to your home or to a nearer point in the United States. The move must occur within 1 year of ending your active duty or within the period allowed under the Joint Travel Regulations.
Spouse and dependents: If you're the spouse or dependent of a member of the Armed Forces who deserts, is imprisoned, or dies, a permanent change of station for you includes a move to:
  • The member's place of enlistment or induction
  • Your, or the member's home of record; or
  • A nearer point in the United States
If the military moves you to or from separate locations, the moves are treated as a single move to your new main job location.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility