Questions & Answers

What if I don't have a 1098-T?

You need a Form 1098-T to claim the American Opportunity Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit.

You should contact your school and have them send you one.

You may be able to claim one of the credits without a Form 1098-T if one of the following exceptions applies:

  1. The school isn't required to send a Form 1098-T.
  2. The school is required to provide a Form 1098-T but you don't receive it before you file your tax return. In this case, make sure you follow these steps:
    • After January 31, 2022, but before you file your return, ask the school to provide a Form 1098-T.
    • Fully cooperate with the school's efforts to gather the information they need from you to provide a Form 1098-T.
If either exception applies to you, you'll still need to be able to prove that you were enrolled and provide proof of payment for any qualified tuition or expenses paid to the school.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use (Updated 11/10/21) | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility