Questions & Answers

What are 1099-K, 1099-NEC, and 1099-MISC forms?

1099-K, 1099-NEC, and 1099-MISC are forms sent to you (and to the IRS) reporting income you earned as a freelancer.

1099-K forms are usually sent out from a payment-processing entity such as PayPal. These entities are required to send you a 1099-K if:
  • you earned over $20,000 or
  • you had over 200 transactions.
1099-NEC or 1099-MISC forms are sent out from people/companies who made payments to you. They're generally required to send you a 1099-NEC or 1099-MISC if they paid you at least $600.

Sometimes you may receive a combination of 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC, and 1099-K forms for the same income. Be careful and make sure you don't double report your income on your return.

Were you an Uber or Lyft driver?

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility