What will happen if my banking transaction (deposit of refund or debit of taxes owed) is returned?
Returned Transaction Charge
The West Virginia State Tax Department will recover a $15.00 fee associated with any returned bank transactions. These bank transactions include but are not limited to the following:
The fee charged for returned or rejected payments will be to recover only the amount charged to the State Tax Department by the financial institutions.
- Direct Debit (payment) transactions returned for insufficient funds.
- Stopped payments.
- Bank refusal to authorize payment for any reason.
- Direct Deposit of refunds to closed accounts.
- Direct Deposit of refunds to accounts containing inaccurate or illegible account information.
- Checks returned for insufficient funds will incur a $28.00 fee.
There are steps that can be taken to minimize the likelihood of a rejected financial transaction occurring:
- Be sure that you are using the most current bank routing and account information.
- If your account is being rolled over from a previous year, the financial information used from a prior year return pre-populates. It is important that you verify the bank routing and account information from a current check. This will ensure the information is accurate and current in the event that a bank account previously used was closed or changed either by you or the financial institution.
- Be sure that funds are available in your bank account to cover the payment when checks or delayed debit payments are presented for payment.