Questions & Answers

What active duty military income qualifies for a West Virginia subtraction?

To qualify, your income must be included in your federal adjusted gross income and have been earned while called to duty by an Executive Order of the President of the United States, as a member of the National Guard or Armed Forces Reserves serving in Operation Enduring Freedom or engaged in domestic security duty.

In order to exclude your active duty military pay from West Virginia income tax, you'll need to send a copy of your military orders to the West Virginia State Tax Department. You can do so by attaching your orders to your tax return on the File Attachments screen (for e-filing only), faxing them to 304-558-1150, or emailing them to

Let's Get Started

© 2002-2019 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement