Questions & Answers

What if I'm in the military and stationed away from home?

If you serve in the military and you were stationed outside of your home state during 2021, you can likely file as a full-year resident of your home state.

If your only income was from military wages, you don't need to file an income tax return for the state where you were stationed.

If you did earn income other than military wages in the state you were stationed in, you'll need to file a nonresident tax return with that state to report the nonmilitary income (exception: military spouses).

Military Spouses
If the spouse of a military member is in a state only because of the military orders of his or her spouse, the nonmilitary spouse's wages and personal service business income will NOT be taxed in the nonresident state. The nonmilitary spouse can also choose to use the same state of residence as their spouse for tax purposes.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility