Questions & Answers

Do I still need to file an amended New York return if I do not agree with the Federal Determination?

If you file an amended federal return to make changes to your federal income, total taxable amount, capital gain or ordinary income portion of a lump-sum distribution, the amount of your earned income credit or credit for child and dependent care expenses, or the amount of your foreign tax credit affecting the computation of the resident credit for taxes paid to a province of Canada, you must also file an amended New York State return within 90 days of the date you amend your federal return. If the IRS changes any of these items, report these changes to the New York State Tax Department on an amended return within 90 days of the IRS final determination. If you do not agree with the IRS determination, you must still file an amended state return indicating your disagreement.

Let's Get Started

© 2002-2019 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement