Who is eligible for the Noncustodial Parent Earned Income Credit?
The New York Noncustodial Earned Income Credit (EIC) is a credit that may be claimed by eligible taxpayers instead of the regular New York state EIC. You may claim the Noncustodial EIC only if you meet all of the following conditions for the 2020 tax year:
- You must be a full-year New York state resident
- You are at least 18 years of age
- You are a parent of a minor child (or children) with whom you do not reside
- You have an order in effect for at least one half of the tax year requiring you to make child support payments payable through a Support Collection Unit pursuant to Social Service Law section 111(h)
- You have paid an amount in child support in 2020 at least equal to the amount of child support you were required to pay by all court orders.