Do I qualify for the California Earned Income Tax Credit?
You may qualify for the California Earned Income Tax Credit if all of the following apply:
- You earned wages or business income taxable to California.
- Your federal adjusted gross income and California wages are less than $24,951 if you had one qualifying child, or $16,751 with no qualifying children.
- You, and your spouse/RDP if filing a joint return, have a valid Social Security Number that allows you to work in the United States.
- You are NOT using the Married Filing Separately filing status.
- You and your spouse/RDP were NOT nonresident aliens for any part of 2018.
- If you're filing as a part-year or nonresident, you and your spouse/RDP lived in California for at least 183 days during the tax year.
- Your investment income taxable to California is no more than $3,699.
- If you don't have a qualifying child, you are at least 18 at the end of the tax year.
- If you aren't filing a joint return, you cannot be claimed as a dependent on another person's return and cannot be a qualifying child of another person.
- Your main home was in California for more than half of 2018.