Questions & Answers

I e-filed my return and it was accepted by the IRS, but I received a new W-2. How do I change my tax return?

In order to change your return after the IRS has already accepted the return, you will need to do an amended return, Form 1040-X. Sign in to your account and go to the amended/corrected tax return paragraph on the View Return Status and Print Copy screen. You will be able to start an amended tax return from that paragraph. We'll help you to prepare your Form 1040-X amended tax return.

We recommend that you do not amend your tax return until after you have received your refund or paid the taxes you owe from your original return you filed. The IRS will often automatically make a correction to your tax return for missing or incorrect W-2 or 1099 forms. You do not need to amend your federal tax return if the IRS corrects the error when they process your original tax return. You will receive an IRS notice explaining the adjustment or asking for additional forms for documentation.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2021 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility