Can I e-file an amended return (Form 1040-X)?
You can usually e-file your amended return if you're amending during the same calendar year tax season you e-filed your original return. For example, you can e-file your amended 2020 return in 2021 if you e-filed your original 2020 return in 2021.
You can't e-file if any of the following conditions apply:
- You need to amend your or your spouse's Social Security number
- You need to amend your filing status
- You mailed your original return
- You've already e-filed three amended returns this year
- Your amended return requires documents that need to be mailed
If any of the above conditions apply, you must mail your amended return instead.
We recommend that you do not amend your tax return until after you have received your refund or paid the taxes you owe from your original return you filed. The IRS will often automatically make a correction to your tax return for missing or incorrect W-2
forms. You do not need to amend your federal tax return if the IRS corrects the error when they process your original tax return. You will receive an IRS notice explaining the adjustment or asking for additional forms for documentation.