Does my dependent qualify for the disabled child exemption?
Your dependent qualifies for the disabled child exemption if you meet all of the following requirements:
- Your dependent is your qualifying child.
- You provide more than half the disabled child's support.
- Your home is the disabled child's principal home.
- The disabled child has a permanent disability to 50% or more of the body. Deafness and blindness do not meet this requirement.
- A licensed physician has certified the child's disability.
If this is the first year that you're claiming the additional exemption for this child, you'll need to include a physician's certification of this qualifying disability with your tax return.
This physician's certification remains in effect for all following years and you don't need to file it each year unless the circumstances of your disabled child change.