Questions & Answers

What are the miscellaneous tax credits?

Drip/Trickle Irrigation Systems Credit (TC-1)

For purchasing and installing conservation tillage equipment, drip/trickle irrigation system, or dual purpose combination truck and crane equipment.

Minority Business Credit (TC-2)

For state contractors that subcontract with socially and economically disadvantaged small businesses.

Water Resources Credit (TC-3)

For investing in the construction of water storage and control structures for soil and water conservation, wildlife management, agriculture, and aquaculture purpose.

Nursing Home Credit

A credit is allowed for an individual who pays expenses for his/her own support or the support of another to an institution, in any state, providing nursing facility level of care or to a provider for in-home or community care. A physician must certify that the nursing care is needed. No credit is allowed for expenses paid from public source funds (such as Medicaid or Veterans Administration). The credit is calculated by multiplying the expenses by 20% (0.20), but the credit can't exceed $300. No carryover is allowed if your credit is greater than your tax due. There is no separate form for this credit.

Small Business Job Credit (TC-4SB)

For qualifying small businesses that create and maintain 2 or more full-time jobs. This credit is limited to 50% of your tax liability.

Accelerated Small Business Jobs Credit (TC-4SA)

For qualifying small businesses that create 2 or more full-time jobs. This credit is limited to 50% of your tax liability.

New Jobs Credit Professional Sports Teams (TC-4P)

For professional sports teams who have at least 150 full-time employees in South Carolina. This credit is limited to 50% of your tax liability.

Scenic Rivers Credit (TC-5)

For donating certain lands adjacent to designated rivers or sections of a river.

Palmetto Seed Capital Credit (TC-7)

For investing in the Palmetto Seed Capital Corporation.

Child Care Program Credit (TC-9)

For employers that establish child care programs for the benefit of employees or donate to a non-profit corporation providing child care services to employees.

Capital Investment Credit (TC-11)

For placing qualifying manufacturing and production equipment in service.

Family Independence Payments Credit (TC-12)

For employers hiring qualifying recipients of Family Independence Payments.

Community Development Credit (TC-14)

For investing amounts in qualifying community development corporations or financial institutions.

Research Expenses Credit (TC-18)

For taxpayers claiming a federal research expenses credit. This credit is limited to 50% of your tax liability after other credits are applied.

Brownfields Cleanup Credit (TC-20)

For costs of voluntary cleanup activity by a nonresponsible party under the Brownfields Voluntary Cleanup Program.

Certified Historic Structure Credit (TC-21)

For rehabilitation project expenses that qualify for the federal credit.

Certified Historic Residential Structure Credit (TC-22)

For qualifying residential rehabilitation projects.

Textiles Rehabilitation Credit (TC-23)

For rehabilitation of an abandoned textile manufacturing facility.

Commercials Credit (TC-24)

For production companies producing commercials in South Carolina.

Motion Pictures Credit (TC-25)

For investing in motion picture projects or motion picture production or post-production facilities in South Carolina. This credit, when combined with other credits, is limited to 50% of your tax liability.

Venture Capital Investment Credit (TC-26)

For lending money to the South Carolina Venture Capital Authority.

Health Insurance Pool Credit (TC-27)

For individuals acquiring replacement health insurance coverage through the South Carolina Health Insurance Pool.

South Carolina Quality Forum Credit (TC-28)

For participating in quality programs of the South Carolina Quality Forum.

Qualified Retirement Plan Contribution Credit (TC-29)

For taxes paid to another state on qualified retirement plan contributions not exempt from the other state's income tax.

Port Cargo Volume or Port Transportation Credit (TC-30)

For increasing usage by volume at state ports, or taxpayers awarded a port transportation credit for their transportation costs.

Retail Facilities Revitalization Credit (TC-31)

For taxpayers who improve, renovate, or redevelop an abandoned retail facility.

Premarital Preparation Course Credit (TC-32)

For attending a qualifying marriage preparation course prior to obtaining a South Carolina marriage license.

Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit (TC-35)

For purchasing qualifying vehicles under Internal Revenue Code 30B.

Industry Partnership Fund Credit (TC-36)

For contributing to the South Carolina Research Authority's Industry Partnership Fund.

Solar Energy or Small Hydropower System or Geothermal Machinery and Equipment Credit (TC-38)

For installing a solar energy system, small hydropower system, or geothermal machinery and equipment in a South Carolina facility. This credit is limited to the lesser of $3,500 per facility or 50% of your tax liability.

Ethanol or Biodiesel Production Credit (TC-40)

For producers of corn-based or non-corn-based ethanol or soy-based or non-soy-based biodiesel.

Renewable Fuel Facility Credit (TC-41)

For constructing a renewable fuel production or distribution facility in South Carolina.

Residential Retrofit Credit (TC-43)

For retrofitting a residence to make it more resistant to loss due to hurricane, rising floodwater, or other catastrophic windstorm event.

Apprenticeship Credit (TC-45)

For employing an apprentice.

Credit for Shareholder of S Corporation Banks (TC-46)

For shareholders of S corporations operating as banks.

Venison for Charity (TC-51)

For processing deer meat for charity.

Fire Sprinkler System Credit (TC-52)

For voluntarily installing a fire sprinkler system in a structure.

Energy Efficient Manufactured Home Credit (TC-53)

For purchase of a new Energy Star manufactured home.

Clean Energy Credit (TC-54)

For companies investing in production of clean energy systems or components. You must file TC-54A to have this credit pre-approved prior to claiming this credit.

Abandoned Buildings Revitalization Credit (TC-55)

For rehabilitating an abandoned building.

Angel Investor Credit (TC-56)

For investing in certain types of businesses. You must file TC-56A to have this credit pre-approved prior to claiming this credit.

Educational Credit for Exceptional Needs Children's Fund (Nonrefundable)

For contributing money to Exceptional SC to benefit exceptional needs children. This credit is limited to 60% of your tax liability.

Solar Energy Property Credit (TC-58)

For installing nonresidential solar energy property on certain qualified sites. You must file TC-58A to have this credit pre-approved prior to claiming this credit.

Alternative Fuel Property Credit (TC-59)

For purchasing, constructing, installing, and placing in service in South Carolina eligible property that is used for distribution, dispersing or storing alternative fuel at a new or existing fuel distribution or dispensing facility.

Agribusiness Income Tax Credit (TC-61)

For an agribusiness operation or agricultural packaging operation that increases its purchases of certified South Carolina grown agricultural products by a minimum of 15% in a calendar year.

Preceptor Income Tax Credit (TC-62)

For eligible physicians, advanced practice registered nurses, or physician assistants who serve as a preceptor for at least two qualifying clinical rotations required by a medical school, physician assistant program, or advanced practice nursing program. This credit is limited to 50% of your tax liability after all other credits are applied.

South Carolina Housing Tax Credit (TC-63)

For eligible owners of residential low-income rental buildings who are certified by the South Carolina Housing and Finance Authority. The credit is equal to the federal housing tax credit allowed for the project.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2021 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility