Questions & Answers

What is the Credit for Contributions to Qualifying Charitable Organizations?

You can claim a credit if you made cash contributions to qualifying charitable organizations .

Filing Status Maximum Amount of Credit
Single or Head of Household Up to $400
Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately* Up to $800

*If you're filing as Married Filing Separately but you could have filed as Married Filing Jointly, you may take only half of the total credit that would've been allowed if filing jointly.

You may qualify for this credit if you make cash contributions to a qualifying charitable organization, including if you contributed through an umbrella organization. You may also be able to contribute through your payroll withholding if your employer allows for it.

If the allowable credit is more than your tax or if you have no tax, you may carry forward the unused credit for the next 5 years.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2021 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility