Questions & Answers

What if my Box 7 amount is not nonemployee compensation?

Box 7 of the 1099-MISC is for nonemployee compensation that needs to be reported on a Schedule C or Schedule F as business or farm income subject to self-employment taxes. If the income is not nonemployee compensation, you need to have the payer reissue another 1099-MISC to you and have the amount put in Box 3 of the 1099-MISC as Other Income instead of Box 7 as Nonemployee Compensation. Otherwise the IRS will expect you to report the Box 7 nonemployee compensation on Schedule C or Schedule F and pay self-employment taxes on it.

Let's Get Started

© 2002-2019 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement