Questions & Answers

What if my Box 1 amount is not nonemployee compensation?

Box 1 of the 1099-NEC is for nonemployee compensation that needs to be reported on a Schedule C, Schedule F, Form 4835 as business, farm or farm rental income subject to self-employment taxes. If the income is not nonemployee compensation, you need to have the payer issue a 1099-MISC to you and have the amount put in Box 3 of the 1099-MISC as Other Income instead of Box 1 of the 1099-NEC as Nonemployee Compensation. Otherwise the IRS will expect you to report the Box 1 nonemployee compensation on Schedule C, Schedule F, or Form 4835 and pay self-employment taxes on it.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2021 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use | Privacy Statement | Accessibility