What is a Vermont Property Tax Credit Claim?
Vermont homeowners may be eligible for a credit against their 2020/2021 Vermont property tax. The 2020 property tax credit is based on 2019 household income and 2019/2020 property tax. A homeowner may be eligible for a credit if all four of the following requirements are met:
- Filed a valid Homestead Declaration
- Domiciled in Vermont all of calendar year 2019
- Own the property as your principal residence on April 1, 2020
- Not claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer for tax year 2019
- Had household income in 2019 up to $138,250 (Determine household income by completing Schedule HI-144.)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the due date for the Property Tax Credit Claim has been extended to July 15, 2020.
The maximum 2020 Property Tax Credit is $8,000. The property tax credit will appear as a state payment on your 2020/2021 property tax bill.