Questions & Answers
Who must pay estimated tax?
You are required to make quarterly estimated tax payments to North Dakota if all of the following circumstances apply:
- You are required to pay estimated federal income tax for 2022.
- Your North Dakota net tax liability for 2021 is $1,000 or more.
- After state withholdings, you expect to owe at least $1,000 for the 2022 tax year.
- You expect your estimated ND income tax withholding for 2022 to be less than the smaller of:
- 90% of your net tax liability for 2022
- All of your net tax liability for 2021 (If you moved into North Dakota during 2021 and had no income from North Dakota prior to the move, this threshold does not apply; you must satisfy the 90% threshold in part 1)