Questions & Answers

Which itemized deductions can be claimed in Hawaii but not on my federal return?

The following deductions can still be claimed in Hawaii:
  • Tax preparation fees
  • Investment expenses besides just investment interest
  • Interest paid on home equity loans
  • Certain home mortgage interest beyond federal limitations
Amounts you paid to produce or collect taxable income or to manage or protect property held for earning income are also deductible. Don't include any personal expenses or expenses you already entered elsewhere, such as on a Schedule C or as an investment expense. Enter the full amount, and we'll find the deductible portion:
  • Safe deposit box rental
  • Certain legal and accounting fees
  • Clerical help and office rent
  • Custodial (e.g. trust account) fees
  • Certain losses on nonfederally insured deposits in an insolvent or bankrupt financial institution
  • Casualty and theft losses of property used in performing services as an employee
  • Deduction for repayment of amounts under a claim of right
  • Convenience fee charged by the card processor for paying your income tax by credit or debit card
Additional Notes
  • Expenses related to tax-exempt income from a qualified high technology business are also deductible.
  • Excess deductions on termination of an estate (section 67(e) expenses) do not need to be re-entered if they were included on your federal return.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use (Updated 11/10/21) | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility