Which itemized deductions can be claimed in Hawaii but not on my federal return?
The following deductions can still be claimed in Hawaii:
- Tax preparation fees
- Interest paid on home equity loans
- Certain home mortgage interest beyond federal limitations
The expenses below must be paid to produce or collect taxable income and certain tax-exempt* income or to manage or protect property held for earning income. Don't include any personal expenses or expenses claimed elsewhere, such as on a Schedule C
- Safe deposit box rental
- Certain legal and accounting fees
- Clerical help and office rent
- Custodial (e.g. trust account) fees
- Your share of the investment expenses of a regulated investment company
- Certain losses on nonfederally insured deposits
- Casualty and theft losses of property used in performing services as an employee
- Deduction for repayment of amounts under a claim of right
- Convenience fee charged by the card processor for paying your income tax by credit or debit card
*Expenses related to tax-exempt income from a qualified high technology business are deductible.