What adoption expenses are eligible for the Iowa Adoption Tax Credit?
Your adoption expenses are considered eligible for the Adoption Tax Credit if they are qualified adoption expenses that you paid or incurred prior to or during 2020 in connection with the adoption of a child. If the adoption was finalized prior to 2020, only qualified adoption expenses that you paid or incurred in 2020 may be claimed.
If the following conditions are met, your adoption expenses qualify to be used for the Adoption Tax Credit:
- The expenses are paid or incurred in connection with the adoption of a child, including medical and hospital expenses of the biological mother that are incident to the child's birth, welfare agency fees, legal fees, and all other fees and costs that relate to the adoption of a child.
- You were not reimbursed for the adoption expenses.
- The adoption related to your adoption expenses was finalized.
- The adopted child is under 18 years old.
- The adopted child was permanently placed in Iowa in a qualified placement.