Questions & Answers

What if I sell goods on Etsy, Big Cartel, or other sites?

In many cases, income you receive for selling goods is considered self-employment income if you sell the goods for more than you paid for them. This income is reported on Schedule C. You're required to report it on your tax return.

You can, however, take deductions to offset this income; some common deductions sellers take include:
  • home office deduction
  • inventory
  • commissions and fees
  • office supplies
  • subscriptions
If you're unsure whether your income is subject to self-employment tax, use the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant to help you determine what income is subject to self-employment tax.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use (Updated 11/10/21) | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility