Questions & Answers

What if I drive for Uber, Lyft, or another company?

Income you receive for driving for Uber or another similar company is considered self-employment income and is reported on Schedule C. You're required to report it on your tax return.

You generally can take deductions to help offset this income; some common deductions drivers can take include:
  • car expenses (miles driven)
  • parking and tolls
  • insurance
  • home office deduction
  • interest on a car loan
  • fees and commissions
  • smart phone used for business
  • snacks/water you provide for customers
For more information regarding business expenses, refer to the IRS Deducting Business Expenses web page.

Let's Get Started


Footer sections

© 2002-2022 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use (Updated 11/10/21) | Privacy Statement (Updated 2/1/2022) | Accessibility
This website is partnered with the National Compliance Group to ensure accessibility