Free Federal Tax Extension
100% Free Preparation & E-file
The deadline to file a federal extension
for 2013 was April 15, 2014
Even though the extension deadline has passed,
you can file your taxes now.
File as soon as possible to avoid any additional
interest or penalties from the IRS.
Federal Tax Extension
- Increase the tax return filing deadline* from April 15th to October 15th
- It only takes a few minutes to complete online
- Your tax information is saved for future reference
- Receive IRS confirmation and approval notices through email
Private & Secure Online Filing
Your extension is private and secure on FreeTaxUSA. The information you enter is always encrypted and transmitted securely directly to the IRS. Your account information will be saved until you are ready to finish your tax return. Sign in at any time to review or update your information.
* Warning: Filing an extension changes the deadline for filing your tax return. If you owe taxes, they need to be paid by April 15th. Failing to do so could result in penalties and fees from the IRS. You can make a payment when you file your extension to avoid penalties and interest.
To file an extension, create an account or sign in to an existing account. Once you have signed in, click on the 2013 Extension link in the right sidebar and proceed. All extensions must be filed by April 15, 2014.
Free E-file & Printing
You have the option to e-file or print your tax extension. Confirmation and acceptance notices are e-mailed to you within a few days. If you prefer to send your tax extension by mail you can print a copy for free.
Online Tax Extension Software
Easy step-by-step instructions help you complete your tax extension quickly. Once you are ready to file you have the choice of e-filing or mailing your extension. If you decide to mail your extension the form you need will be filled out for you.