100% Free Federal Tax Extension
Free Federal Tax Extension
Federal Tax Extension Includes:
for 2014 beginning February 1, 2015.
- Increase the tax return filing deadline* from April 15th to October 15th
- It only takes a few minutes to complete online
- Your tax information is saved for future reference
- Receive IRS confirmation and approval notices through email
Private & Secure Online Filing
Your extension is private and secure on FreeTaxUSA. The information you enter is always encrypted and transmitted securely directly to the IRS. Your account information will be saved until you are ready to finish your tax return. Sign in at any time to review or update your information.
Free E-file & Printing
You have the option to e-file or print your tax extension. Confirmation and acceptance notices are e-mailed to you within a few days. If you prefer to send your tax extension by mail you can print a copy for free.
* Warning: Filing an extension changes the deadline for filing your tax return. If you owe taxes, they need to be paid by April 15th. Failing to do so could result in penalties and fees from the IRS. You can make a payment when you file your extension to avoid penalties and interest.
To file an extension, create an account or sign in to an existing account. Once you have signed in, click on the 2014 Extension link in the right sidebar and proceed. All extensions must be filed by April 15, 2015.
Online Tax Extension Software
Easy step-by-step instructions help you complete your tax extension quickly. Once you are ready to file you have the choice of e-filing or mailing your extension. If you decide to mail your extension the form you need will be filled out for you.
Some states allow you extra time to file your state return simply by filing the federal extension. Check your state to see whether or not you need to file a state extension in addition to your federal extension.
Pay Your Taxes When You E-file
If you owe taxes and chose to e-file your extension, you can pay your estimated tax owed using our free direct debit feature. Funds will transfer from your bank account to the IRS, saving you a trip to the post office. All taxes are due by April 15th, even if you file an extension.