Top Issues

How do I change my bank information for direct deposit?

If you have already submitted your tax return, then wait until the IRS either accepts or rejects your return.

If the IRS rejects your return, you can sign in to your account and make the correction to your bank information before e-filing your tax return again.

If the IRS accepts your tax return and is unable to direct deposit your refund, then the IRS will mail your refund check to the address listed on your tax return. There's no way to change your bank information once the IRS has accepted your e-filed tax return. You can check the status of your refund by going to the IRS website  and clicking Where's My Refund?.

Check E-Filing Status

Sign in to your account after you have e-filed your return to check the status of your e-filed return. You will go straight to the View Return Status and Print Your Copy screen with the status of your return.

The IRS usually processes returns in less than 1 hour after you e-file your return, but it can take hours or even days. The IRS will tell us whether your e-filed return was accepted or rejected. The View Return Status and Print Your Copy screen will provide you with details and instructions specific to your acceptance or rejection.

If you do not see the View Return Status and Print Your Copy screen when you sign into your account, click the Account menu followed by Check Status.

How do I check the status of my federal refund?

Go to the IRS  website and click on Where's My Refund?. You can also call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or 1-800-829-1954.

To get to your refund status, you'll need to provide the following information as shown on your return:
  • Your Social Security number (or IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number)
  • Your filing status (Single, Married Filing Joint Return, Married Filing Separately, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widow(er))
  • The refund amount (It is important to enter the refund amount exactly as it is shown on your return in order for our computer system to retrieve your data.)

You can go online to  to check the status of your refund 24 hours after the IRS accepts your e-filed tax return, or 3 to 4 weeks after you mail your paper return. But if you filed Form 8379 with your return, allow 14 weeks (11 weeks if you e-filed) before checking your refund status.

How do I delete my account? I don't want to use this website.

Customer support doesn't have access to passwords or accounts and can't delete information for you. You can sign in to your account and delete information from the account. Your entire account can't be deleted, but most of the information can be deleted, and any information that can't be deleted can be modified and saved to be irrelevant information. This will remove or overwrite all of your information, making it irretrievable.

How do I make corrections to my rejected return and resubmit it?

If the IRS rejects your return, sign in to your account and you should be taken directly to a screen titled FreeTaxUSA Rejection Notice. On this screen you'll find additional information that applies to the rejection. Click the Continue to access your return and correct any errors or information that needs correcting.

When you are ready to send your return again, select the Filing menu option and follow the screens until you get to the Submit Tax Return screen. Click the Send Tax Return to resubmit your return.

How do I retrieve a forgotten username or password?

Go to the Sign in screen. Using the menu bar across the top of the screen, select the Account option. Under this option will be a Forgot Username and Forgot Password link.

If you requested your username or password through one of these links, and you did not receive the email with your username or password, then check your junk/spam folder. The easiest way to ensure that you receive the email is to add our support address to your contact list or list of trusted senders. After that, try requesting your username or password through one of the links again.

I'm having trouble printing my tax return.

Adobe Reader is needed to view or print your tax return. If you don't have Adobe Reader, you can download  it for free. If you are unable to view or print your return, update or reinstall Adobe Reader. We have found that many printing problems can be solved by updating or reinstalling Adobe Reader.

If you have a recent version of Adobe Reader, try saving the file to your hard drive and then opening it in Adobe Reader after your browser is closed. Instead of left-clicking your mouse to download the tax return to your browser, right-click your mouse and select "save link as" or "save target as" (Internet Explorer) from the pop-up menu. This will allow you to save the tax return to your computer.

I received my refund and it was less than what I was supposed to get. Why?

Some reasons for a partial refund include garnishments for child support, prior year taxes, or student loans that are in default. You can find out information about your refund by going to and clicking on Where's My Refund?. Or you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-4477 or 1-800-829-1040 to find out information about your refund.

Why doesn't the IRS have record of my tax return?

Sign in to your account by clicking on the Check E-file Status link and click Check Status on the Account section of the menu. Then verify the following:

Did you e-file the return?
If the Check Status screen says that the tax return has not been e-filed, you need to go to the Submit Return for Processing screen, by clicking the Filing Method link in the Filing menu and following the screens. Click Send Tax Return to e-file your tax return.

Was your e-filed tax return rejected?
If your return was rejected by the IRS, you will see a screen that gives the rejection messages when you first sign in, or you can click on the Check Status link in the Account menu to view the rejection message. Make any necessary corrections, then e-file the tax return again by going to the last screen and clicking on the Send Tax Return button.

Was your tax return accepted by the IRS?
If the Check Status page shows that the tax return is accepted, then you can to check your refund status with the IRS on the IRS  website or by calling 1-800-829-1954. It takes at least 24 hours after your e-filed return has been accepted by the IRS for your refund information to show up on the IRS system. If you filed Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, with your tax return, it can take 11 weeks before your tax return status is available on the IRS system. If you call the IRS or use the IRS website's Where's My Refund tool  before that time, your refund information will not show up on the IRS system.

You will need to know the exact amount of the tax return refund, your tax return filing status, and your Social Security number for the IRS to give you any information about your tax refund when you visit the IRS website or call the IRS refund phone number.

Where do I find a list of items that you support and don't support?

You can find a list of items supported and not supported by following the links listed under Supported Tax Forms on our home page.

Does FreeTaxUSA have a phone number for support?

To provide the most value to our customers, all customer support is provided through email or through direct messaging within the software. We do not offer phone support. Our customer support agents have responded to millions of questions in a timely and professional manner. Their goal is to respond as quickly and as accurately as possible. Complex questions may take longer to research; easier questions can be answered in considerably less time. Many customers are surprised at how quickly they receive a response.

Signing in to your account first, and then contacting customer support, is the best and quickest way to receive help. By creating a customer support ticket within the software, our representatives will be able to review your account quickly and provide the best response possible. You will find the 'Contact Support' link in the top right corner of each screen after you have signed into the software.

The second best way to contact support is to email them at

You can also find answers to many questions by searching our Questions and Answers database. When you are signed in to your account, you can search this database under the 'Support Center' by typing keywords in the 'Search tax help...' field. Or you can click 'Top Issues' to see answers to the most commonly asked questions.

Is FreeTaxUSA Safe?

Yes, FreeTaxUSA is safe. As an authorized IRS e-file provider, we have filed over 11 million tax returns since 2001. All of our calculations are guaranteed 100% accurate, and we use bank-grade security measures. Our software uses the same encryption and security used by major online banks, credit card companies, and other financial institutions. Our security practices can be found here: 

If you would like a no-risk trial, you can try the service at no cost by creating free account. We are confident you will like the service and the value we provide.

Trusted Company

14 Million Returns Filed

As an authorized IRS e-file provider, FreeTaxUSA® has e-filed over 14 million returns!

Best Value

File your federal taxes for FREE.
Add a state return for only $12.95.
Get the best value online!

Fast Refund

Get the fastest refund possible!

FreeTaxUSA provides the fastest way to get your refund when you use IRS e-file and direct deposit.

100% Accuracy

Our site checks for errors or problems before you send your tax return to the IRS. We guarantee the calculations in our software will be 100% accurate.

© 2002-2015 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use