Maryland State Tax Help
The tax on this portion of your wages is deferred for federal purposes, but unfortunately not for state purposes. For more information, see Administrative Release 21.
The state also allows an exemption on the first $15,000 of valuation on the dwelling house owned by legally blind persons.
For further information about either exemption, please telephone 410-767-4433 in the Baltimore area or 1-800-944-7403 (toll free) in other areas of Maryland.
What if I contributed more than $2,500 during the taxable year to the Maryland Prepaid College Trust?
- currently hold a standard professional certificate or advanced professional certificate;
- are employed by a county/city board of education in Maryland, a state or local correctional facility, or a juvenile correctional facility;
- teach in a public school or qualified facility and receive a satisfactory performance;
- successfully complete the courses with a grade of B or better; and
- have not been fully reimbursed by the state/county/city for these expenses. Only the unreimbursed portion qualifies for the credit.
If the credit is more than the tax liability, the unused credit may NOT be carried forward to any other tax year. The credit is equal to the LTC premiums paid with a maximum per insured of:
- $360.00 for a person 40 years or under
- $500.00 for a person over 40 years old
- The insured must be a Maryland resident.
- The insured must be the taxpayer, the taxpayer's spouse, parent, stepparent, child or stepchild.
- The insured cannot have been covered by long-term care insurance before July 1, 2000.
- This tax credit must not have already been claimed for the insured by the taxpayer or by anyone else in any tax year.
- Restore wetlands
- Plant trees and bay grasses
- Reintroduce oyster and fish populations
- Actively protect threatened plants and animals
For more information, visit www.cbtrust.org.
For more information, call DHMH at 410-767-6213 or visit mdcancerfund.org.
- Enter any estimated tax payments you made for 2013
- Enter any amounts credited from your 2012 return
- Enter any amount prepaid with extension requests
Do NOT enter any amount of your 2013 Maryland Income Tax withheld by your employer(s) as shown on any wage or tax statements.