- You were a resident of California in 2012.
- Your California adjusted gross income (AGI) is $36,337 or less if your filing status is Single or $72,674 or less if you are Married Filing Jointly, Head of Household, or Qualified Widow(er).
- You paid rent for at least half of 2012 for property in California that was your principal residence.
- You did not live with another person for more than half the year (such as a parent) who claimed you as a dependent in 2012.
- You are not a minor living with and under the care of a parent, foster parent, or legal guardian.
- You rented property for more than half the year that was not exempt from California property tax in 2012.
- Neither you nor your spouse, if married, was granted a homeowner's property tax exemption during 2012. (You can still qualify for the credit, even though your spouse claimed a homeowner's exemption, as long as each of you maintained a separate residence for the entire year in 2012).
You qualify for the Nonrefundable Renter's Credit if you meet all of the following criteria: