What do I include for the federal income tax refund received in 2014?

Include the following:
  • The refund you received from your 2013 federal tax return. If you need to determine the amount of last year's federal income tax refund, which must be reported on this year's Iowa return, please contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) at 1-800-829-1040.
  • Any refunds received in 2014 for other years that were amended or filed late
  • Any portion of the federal refund received due to the Fuel Tax Credit from federal Form 4136
  • The amount of any federal First-time Homebuyer Credit repayment

If you chose to have any part of an overpayment of federal income tax credited to estimated tax payments for 2014, the amount will be reported as federal estimated tax payments made in 2014 on your Iowa Income Tax Return. However, you must also enter the total federal overpayment here.

Do not include the federal refund in the following situations:
  • Do not include any part of the refund received from Earned Income Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit, First-Time Homebuyer Credit, Refundable Education Credit, or Refundable Adoption Tax Credit .
  • You are filing a 2014 Iowa return for the first time because you moved into Iowa during the year. A refund of federal tax received in 2014 is not reported if the tax was not deducted from Iowa income in a prior year.
  • The refund you received was from a year in which you did not take a deduction for the payment of federal tax because your income was less than the minimum amount for paying Iowa tax or your tax for that year was calculated using the alternate tax computation.
  • You were a nonresident for the tax year of the refund and were not required to file an Iowa return for that year.

Married Filing Separately Filers:
If the refund received in 2014 was from a jointly filed federal return, it must be divided between the spouses in the ratio of the spouses' net incomes in the year for which the refund was issued. NOTE: For purposes of reporting to Iowa, the refund must be prorated in this manner even if the refund itself was divided between spouses in some other way, either by mutual agreement or other requirement.

Trusted Company

14 Million Returns Filed

As an authorized IRS e-file provider, FreeTaxUSA® has e-filed over 14 million returns!

Best Value

File your federal taxes for FREE.
Add a state return for only $12.95.
Get the best value online!

Fast Refund

Get the fastest refund possible!

FreeTaxUSA provides the fastest way to get your refund when you use IRS e-file and direct deposit.

100% Accuracy

Our site checks for errors or problems before you send your tax return to the IRS. We guarantee the calculations in our software will be 100% accurate.

© 2002-2015 FreeTaxUSA, a TaxHawk, Inc. owned and operated website - Terms of Use